Sometimes at a Super Bowl party, you want Frito Lays with canned Hormel chili (no beans; don't be ridiculous) and Velveeta. There’s nothing wrong with that. It tastes good!
I'm from Denver, so every year the Broncos make it as far as the Super Bowl, I also make two pans of rice krispies treats at my house. One batch is orange, and one is blue. Even if the Raiders are in it, I’m still gonna make my orange and blue rice krispies. I've lived in the Bay Area for 20 years, but once your arch enemy, always your arch enemy.
Sometimes at a Super Bowl party, you want chips with onion dip, tiny pizzas and beer.
And sometimes you want to make those homemade potato chips and caramelize the onions for the handmade dip. Maybe the pizzas are tiny tarte flambées made with specialty puff pastry, and the beer is home brewed. Just sayin’. If this is one of those years for you—like it is for me—this recipe’s for you.
Homemade Thai Spiced Potato Chips
- Ginger - 25 g
- Galangal - 25 g
- Lemongrass - 2 stalks
- Thai chilis - 25 g
- Lime leaves - 20 leaves
- Coconut - 25 g unsweetened shredded
- Takii umami powder
- 4 Russet potatoes
- Dehydrate all of the spice mix ingredients except the Takii powder on separate shelves in a dehydrator. The ginger, lemongrass and galangal should be cut into thin slices to speed up the dehydration. [Most ingredients will take only a few hours to dehydrate, but do this the day before in case some of the ingredients need to be dehydrated overnight.]
- Roughly chop each ingredient before grinding in a spice grinder.
- Grind Takii powder in a spice grinder.
- Mix 10g each of ginger, galangal, lemongrass and coconut. Add lime leaves, chilis and Takii powder to taste.
- Cut potatoes into 3mm slices using a mandoline (no need to peel).
- Cook potato slices for 3 to 5 minutes in boiling, salted water. The potato should taste cooked.
- When cooked potatoes cool, fry at 165C (330F) until brown and crispy. This will likely need to be done in 3 to 4 batches to avoid overloading the fryer.
- Immediately transfer potato chips to a large bowl, add some spice mix and toss to coat.